[FoRK] LA Traffic - solution?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Aug 30 13:19:05 PDT 2012

Probably...  Bart is pretty good, but again, even in SF, if you're not
near Bart or Caltrain, you have to plan for some significant travel.
It's a nice, if challenging city to get around in on a bike.  But I feel
that I'd likely weigh living and working locations strongly based on
transportation convenience.  A good, scalable system should cover a
whole area fairly evenly.

Maximum commute time should be about 30 minutes, with <20 as a target.
If you are more spread out, then a significant part of the journey
should be fast enough to meet that.  An hour or more each way should be
the exception, not something that is common. It's all scale (short and
long distance travel segments) * traffic pressure * efficiency.  It's
easy to be efficient if everything is very close together and is more
grid connected.  It is much more difficult if you have bottlenecked
routes that connect major zones, have far too much traffic, and have
various inefficiencies (off ramps too short, slow frequently-stopping
buses, diffuse destinations).

The ZipCar like idea, and free-ish group endpoint sharing of cars, could
solve the local segment problem.  Perhaps that's the place to start.  At
Caltrain's endpoint in SF and the main station or stations in SJ, if you
could walk off the train and drive/bike/skate/Segway directly to
work/home and then leave the vehicle on the street to be picked up and
driven back to the train, it would solve a lot.

Here is a strong need: self-driving Segways.  Take one to your
destination, then it drives itself to the next pickup coordinated by
mobile app or back to the train.

Stephen