[FoRK] Newsroom score: American Taliban

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 31 08:19:21 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Bill Kearney <wkearney99 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I remember at one point, when I was living in New York, I wanted to do
>> something but I was told I needed a New York State ID to do it. I cant
>> remember what the thing I wanted to do was though.
>

> Likely something set up for NY residents only.  And no doubt there are ways
> to assert that, one way being an NY-issued ID.  But without identifying what
> service you wanted, and when, it's a bit pointless.

Doesn't have to be a resident-only service: At one point,
Massachusetts required a state-issued ID if you wanted to drink or to
purchase alcohol.  Non-residents,  in theory, were supposed to
purchase state ID, but I only saw this law enforced fully once.  Part
of this was justified because some states didn't issue photo IDs.
[Yes, there was a time when driver's licenses didn't have photos, even
in big states like New York -- fake IDs were so much easier....]

Ken Meltsner