[FoRK] LA Traffic - solution?

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 09:15:12 PDT 2012

>> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:48:16PM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
>>> In NYC, even though you have super density, the subway is so slow that
>>> except for more than a few miles, I'd generally rather walk. I would
>>> certainly rather ride a bike if I had a way to store it.

> On 8/31/12 2:49 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> We all know what's going to happen:
> Self-driving fleets of shared (public, private, and/or personal) electric
> vehicles, plus bicycles.

In LA people used to feel free to get a job from their home. Work in
Santa Monica, live in Eagle Rock. This made sense because the freeway
is fast enough when there's no traffic. With the traffic where it is,
people are working closer to their home.

A key part of the solution is engineering density. Tweak cities so
that people don't have to travel as much.