[FoRK] LA Traffic - solution?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Aug 31 09:27:35 PDT 2012

On 8/31/12 9:15 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
>> On 8/31/12 2:49 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> We all know what's going to happen:
>> Self-driving fleets of shared (public, private, and/or personal) electric
>> vehicles, plus bicycles.
> In LA people used to feel free to get a job from their home. Work in
> Santa Monica, live in Eagle Rock. This made sense because the freeway
> is fast enough when there's no traffic. With the traffic where it is,
> people are working closer to their home.
>
> A key part of the solution is engineering density. Tweak cities so
> that people don't have to travel as much.

Exactly.  Non-physical jobs should be done at home or a neighborhood co-work space.
Actually, even a lot of physical jobs should be doable that way in teleoperation suites.  You'll just have to be within so many
ms. of latency.

I hereby suggest one of the biggest startup ideas: Turnkey co-work (now) and teleoperation (soon) suites.  Franchise them.  Make
deals for redundant bandwidth, rating, etc.  Hire fleets of local management, staff, trainers, IT.  Make deals with Staples,
BestBuy, Fedex/UPS/USPS and a freight shipper, etc.

See my previous descriptions of Maker City / Building / Blocks.  And my about to be published alternative to Bain Drain.
(Quick, someone forward that phrase to the White House.)