[FoRK] LA Traffic - solution?

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 31 09:28:43 PDT 2012

> High speed rail seems to be going forward in California.  If it is truly
> fast, it probably is worth it because of the dual massive population
> centers and mostly unpopulated land in between.  However, it doesn't
> make sense to create a full train network beyond that. Efficient
> automated shared / multiplexed electric self-driving vehicles seem
> perfect and reuse the roads that are fundamental.

High speed rail doesn't really make sense at all.  There's really no
actual "NEED" for most of that travel.  Certainly not at a high speed.
Too much behavior is centered around traveling distances on a whim.
They're doing it now because they "can" not because of any real need.
Certainly not ones supported by realistic economic factors.  Take the
artificial cheapness out of it and you're on your way to drastically
altering behaviors.

Moves toward personal electric make much more sense.  They accomplish
two goals, one being breaking the habit of travel over unnecessary
distances on a regular basis.  The other being reduction/elimination of
end-use burning of fuels.

Commuting from distances greater than electric vehicle capacity would be
made even more obviously stupid than it already is.  The argument needs
to turn from "the cars can't go far enough" toward "it's stupid to be
traveling that far for anything other than an exceptional basis."  I
don't expect that to happen in the current generation of the population.

We've been spoiled by the artifical cheapness of traveling the wide open
spaces.  That time is rapidly approaching it's end.

-Bill Kearney