[FoRK] LA Traffic - solution?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Aug 31 09:50:32 PDT 2012

On 8/31/12 9:42 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> Exactly.  Non-physical jobs should be done at home or a neighborhood co-work
>> space.
>> Actually, even a lot of physical jobs should be doable that way in
>> teleoperation suites.  You'll just have to be within so many ms. of latency.
> Bringing coworking into the conversation is a great point. Yup, it
> makes a really productive working environment easily within range.
> There also needs to be a Fedex/Kinkos really close by. Also - a good
> telephone is necessary. Cell phones are often not good enough to get
> work done.

My cell service is nearly perfect (Sprint).  I do all my work calls on my personal phone with no extra cost.  I haven't had a
desk phone for the last two jobs and I ignored it mostly in the prior 3.  The biggest reason is that I can use a BlueTooth
headset easily with my phone but not the desk phone.  Somewhere, I have an expensive setup to enable deskphones with a
call-center style, but wireless Plantronics headset.  Only used it for a year.  In the last job, they just paid for commercial
Skype accounts for everyone for voice, landline, chat, video.  Since they were split between US, Japan, and China, very
obviously better solution.

> I don't think most people's homes are set up for real productivity.
> Their internet connection isn't good enough, it's too easy to be
> distracted.

I've always maintained a fairly good home office, often better in most ways to what I have at the corporate office.  In my case,
I always remain ready to run my own business.  But many don't make that investment, so you need co-work if not.