[FoRK] LA Traffic - solution?

John Parsons bullwinklemouth at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 31 19:14:10 PDT 2012

________________________________
 From: Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 9:41:17 AM
Subject: Re: [FoRK] LA Traffic - solution?

>"Although only barely possible for even 2 seaters, the possibility of electric jets..."

Contradiction in terms. For an engine or other device to produce a true "jet" for propulsion, some chemical or combustive process is required. If you are alluding to ducted fans driven by electric motors, they cannot be construed as true "jets". While this tech is used in RC modelling, the tech is a long way from prime time.

For electrically powered ducted fans to be prime movers, we would need to replace the heavy iron and copper in traditional electric motors with lightweight and electro-magnetically conductive materials, to say nothing of the weight of the on-board storage (presently batteries, but possibly super-capacitors in the future). AFAIK the most efficient possibilites for electric airplanes continues to be propeller driven tech.

Still, I've been out of that particular field for some time now, and while the physics hasn't changed, inventiveness continues. Am I seriously out-of-date or was this a typo?

JP