[FoRK] LA Traffic - solution?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Sat Sep 1 08:54:57 PDT 2012

On Aug 31, 2012, at 9:27 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> A key part of the solution is engineering density. Tweak cities so
>> that people don't have to travel as much.
>
> Exactly.  Non-physical jobs should be done at home or a neighborhood co-work space.
> Actually, even a lot of physical jobs should be doable that way in teleoperation suites.  You'll just have to be within so many ms. of latency.
>
> I hereby suggest one of the biggest startup ideas: Turnkey co-work (now) and teleoperation (soon) suites.  Franchise them.  Make deals for redundant bandwidth, rating, etc.  Hire fleets of local management, staff, trainers, IT.  Make deals with Staples, BestBuy, Fedex/UPS/USPS and a freight shipper, etc.

Co-working spaces are pretty ubiquitous in Seattle and appear to be popular, though usually among people that were not going to drive anyway.

The key feature seems to be that you have a critical density of people who will use them and can get to them without driving, which limits their distribution in practice.  Co-working spaces tend to work when they are located among clusters of certain types of similar professionals, not just a random group of people who happen to live near each other. Putting a co-working space way out in the 'burbs is not that useful because the density is too low.

I would suggest that the real value of co-working spaces in practice has little to do with less travel for the most part. In Seattle, many of the co-working spaces that do well are scattered among the skyscrapers and major business districts so working at a co-working space is about the same travel as working in a normal office. I know a lot of people that tend to use co-working spaces as inexpensive, low-commtiment *project* spaces rather than generic work spaces. Many people walk from home to their co-working space.