[FoRK] LA Traffic - solution?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Sep 1 17:29:25 PDT 2012

> On Sep 1, 2012, at 10:17 AM, "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> On 9/1/12 8:54 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>>> The key feature seems to be that you have a critical density of people who will use them and can get to them without driving, which limits their distribution in practice.  Co-working spaces tend to work when they are located among clusters of certain types of similar professionals, not just a random group of people who happen to live near each other. Putting a co-working space way out in the 'burbs is not that useful because the density is too low.
>> I was alluding to the fact that, besides the fact that the idea hasn't really caught on yet, existing co-work spaces are not varied or complete enough or competitive (inexpensive, etc.) enough for widespread use.  Additionally, none of them have any kind of teleoperation capabilities.
>
> What, specifically, is deficient about existing co-working spaces? And how inexpensive do you think they ought to be? The facilities and infrastructure still have to be paid for. Also, what do you mean by "teleoperation capabilities"?

Security of various kinds.  Efficient storage of compute, lab, and other office or small equipment in a way that still allows
most of the space to be multiplexed.
In some models, you rent a cube or room by the week or month.  In others space is drop-in.  Some day soon I'll have to
investigate how the one on the other corner of my block works.  I did notice that a startup just put up a lighted sign on the
corner of the building, which is pretty permanent for a co-work space.  One startup / cowork / hacker space that I visited in SF
was converted warehouse space, complete with full-size loading dock.

The best kinds of co-work spaces are hacker spaces (Hacker Dojo, Noisebridge, et al), some of which rent semi-permanent office
space, or more commercially strict club spaces like TechShop.  Co-work spaces are mostly generic office space with Internet
access on one end and offices plus data centers and startup / tech advice, but some kind of buy-in on the other
(PlugAndPlayTechCenters).

What I was suggesting was something flexible enough to handle most of those ranges, plus teleoperation suites, franchised in a
lightweight way.

On teleoperation suites, this is what I wrote a few messages ago:
> Exactly.  Non-physical jobs should be done at home or a neighborhood co-work space.
> Actually, even a lot of physical jobs should be doable that way in teleoperation suites.  You'll just have to be within so
> many ms. of latency.
>
> I hereby suggest one of the biggest startup ideas: Turnkey co-work (now) and teleoperation (soon) suites.  Franchise them.
> Make deals for redundant bandwidth, rating, etc.  Hire fleets of local management, staff, trainers, IT.  Make deals with
> Staples, BestBuy, Fedex/UPS/USPS and a freight shipper, etc.
>
> See my previous descriptions of Maker City / Building / Blocks. And my about to be published alternative to Bain Drain.
> (Quick, someone forward that phrase to the White House.)

Isn't that clear?