[FoRK] Co-working spaces (was Re: LA Traffic - solution?)

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Sep 1 23:00:17 PDT 2012

> On Sep 1, 2012, at 5:29 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> What I was suggesting was something flexible enough to handle most of those ranges, plus teleoperation suites, franchised in a lightweight way.
>
> This produces a co-working space that is mediocre for everyone. Much better to have a completely decentralized network of specialized co-working spaces that cater to the needs of their respective clientele.

Sure, but what we have now is no coworking spaces at all in the vast majority of the country and world.

I wasn't suggesting that there would be no specialization.  I was suggesting taking the best of a number of different strategies to
address a certain broad range, then replicate that widely.  There's no reason that every instance would have special facilities to
support every possible specialization.  They should be able to choose modules that are locally applicable by interest or industry.
You don't need a surfboard shaper in Kansas or to build kit planes in Santa Monica, although you might use many of the same tools.

IT basics among different specialties have a lot of overlap, although Wacom pen monitors, 3D mice, large dual monitors, etc. are
only intrinsic to certain groups.