[FoRK] Pwnage, brought to you by DirectTV

Reese howell.r at inkworkswell.com
Fri Sep 7 19:01:58 PDT 2012

At 01:10 PM 9/7/2012, Stephen Williams wrote:
>I happened to be examining the system when it reported in a popup
>"aa has disconnected".  At that point, I realized what was happening.
>
>The current DirectTV system requires an Internet connection.  To
>easily support multi-room service, child units connect to coax cable
>that connects all units in the house together to share that Internet
>connection.  The main unit then provides network access over that
>cable along with antenna signal.  The main unit also connects to the
>incoming satellite cable, which is connected to splitters and
>amplifiers.  Normally, this would be a private connection to a dish
>serving a house or individual apartment.  To avoid the need for
>multiple dishes, this complex shares a set of dishes on the roof,
>which are then amplified and distributed to each unit.

So, you are in an apartment complex where the dish array is shared
betwixt the tenants? I can see how there would be issues.

Meanwhile, I've noticed that sometimes, with no tv sets turned on, the
house WiFi becomes unusable. It's ultra-slow when laptops are able to
connect at all and sometimes, they aren't. The issue tends to last
hours if I don't reboot anything. Rebooting the cable modem and WAP
tends to resolve ability to connect to the WAP but it doesn't always
resolve the bandwidth issues or at least, not right away. Those tend
to disappear about 10-30 minutes after the reboots. But I'll tell you
what does fix the available, usable bandwidth issue and right away,
unplugging the DirectTV crap from the router. It makes me wonder just
exactly what the hell they are doing that uses so much bandwidth and
for so long, when no tv sets are on and when no programs are being
recorded.

I think I might need to do a bit of deep packet inspection myself.

Reese