[FoRK] PersonalWeb patents "unique" hashes of content

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Sep 18 18:41:05 PDT 2012

Content addressable storage == hashtable.  Earliest use of a hash
table?  60's at the latest.

Actual CAS granularity hash tables:
http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/venti/
> The Stanford Archival Vault [2] is a prototype archival repository
> intended for digital libraries. The archive consists of a write-once
> log of digital objects (files) and several auxiliary indexes for
> locating objects within the log. Objects are identified by the hash of
> their contents using a cyclic redundancy check (CRC).

[2] Arturo Crespo and Hector Garcia-Molina. Archival storage for digital
libraries. In Proceedings of the 3rd ACM International Conference on
Digital Libraries, 1998.

This is clearly invalid:
http://www.google.com/patents/US6415280
Patent filing / priority date seems to be April 1 (!) 1999.