[FoRK] PersonalWeb patents "unique" hashes of content

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 18 20:09:53 PDT 2012

Yep:

The famous quotation... [as quoted in
http://www.historyoftheuniverse.com/giantsho.html]

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants --
Isaac Newton in: Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675/1676

...inspired the following variations:

In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
with the giants on whose shoulders we stand. -- Gerald Holton

If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were
standing on my shoulders. -- Hal Abelson

In computer science, we stand on each other's feet. -- Brian K. Reid

If it makes anyone feel better, the reinvention problem is not
restricted to the computer science world.  Back when I did real
metallurgy, I was told to figure out whether (and why) no one else has
had my brilliant idea *before* I wrote the disclosure letters....

Ken