[FoRK] FoRK Digest, Vol 108, Issue 19

Dave Long dave.long at bluewin.ch
Fri Sep 21 05:19:40 PDT 2012

> ... and point is a subset of interval since points are just
> degenerate intervals.

Another way to look at it is that intervals are bounded by points
(resp. vertices) and because differentiation- and integration-like
operators are linear, we can easily get log factors (or, in some
cases, even achieve a streaming computation) by shuffling where (more
creatively, if) these operations occur in a computation.  This is
useful in many situations, not the least of which is high-school
calculus*, in which we often reduce problems given over an interval
to calculations on the boundary.  Further afield, one might even
argue that a financial report is an exercise in gathering data from
interiors to produce information on the boundaries: double-entry
bookkeeping is that field's answer to winged-edge meshes.  That books
balance is a homotopic constraint, demonstrating that at some level,
Pacioli anticipated Poincaré by four centuries.

-Dave

* Spivak's _Calculus on Manifolds_ states: (4-13, p.104 -- under
asciification of notation)