[FoRK] Reconfigurable Code Re: Software hacks using timestamp counters

Dr. Ernest Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Mon Oct 1 14:35:04 PDT 2012

Hi all,

On Oct 1, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> We need buffer, L2, core, device (CPU/GPU/DSP), and parameter management and optimization while chaining a number of compute intensive modules on large amounts of mostly use-once data in, for some modes, a highly repetitive environment.  All while keeping the functional code clean and highly reconfigurable at compile or runtime with several alternate versions.

That reminds me -- have we discussed Halide here?

Decoupling Algorithms from Schedules for Easy Optimization of Image Processing Pipelines
Halide

I've long though we need a way to decouple the "expression" of the code's intent from the "mechanism" of its efficient implementation.  Halide is the closest I've seen to a real-world articulation of that philosophy.

Do you know anyone else who's attempted this? Any thoughts on whether this will prove useful?

-- Ernie P.