[FoRK] debates....

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Thu Oct 4 09:18:22 PDT 2012

On 10/4/12 11:36 AM, geege schuman wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Gary Stock<gstock at nexcerpt.com>  wrote:
>> Among liberals, voting "on principle" means abandoning the group.
>> Among conservatives, voting "on principle" means cleaving more closely
>> to it.
>>
>> jesusthatstrue.
Yeah.  It's brutal.

I campaigned for John Anderson.  Afterwards, I realized that the entire
group had felt that winning wasn't necessary -- that "making a point"
would be prize enough.  It was NOT.  Yikes.

However, that very effectively prevented us from campaigning from
Carter, as many would have done otherwise.  Among conservative friends,
none wavered from support for Reagan -- much less to do so "on principle."

Mickey Edwards makes many cogent arguments for fixing "parties," among
other things:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/07/how-to-turn-republicans-and-democrats-into-americans/308521/

Among them, for example:  the Speaker of the House should be
non-partisan -- they need not even be an elected member of the House.

Quixotic though Edwards' goals may be, he will accomplish more than all
the (primarily liberal) protest votes combined in 2012...

GS