[FoRK] Sandia Lab Fires Up 300, 000 Virtual Android Devices To Test Out Security

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Thu Oct 4 22:56:45 PDT 2012

On Oct 3, 2012, at 9:24 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> However, for SIMD, our expert assembly developers have made it clear that the ARM NEON SIMD is much better than the Intel SSE SIMD.

I do not know anything about ARM SIMD, but I can say that SSE SIMD is frequently of low value in the integer domain. Basically, a 128-bit SSE pipeline has to compete with the 3 very efficient 64-bit ALUs in current Intel architectures. If you can design integer code to saturate the ALUs, SSE is unlikely to be competitive. The integer twiddling operations for SSE are not rich enough to get around that in most cases.