[FoRK] DNT: another example of "you can't make this shit up"

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Mon Oct 15 11:02:07 PDT 2012

On 10/15/2012 10:43 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:

> What doesn't work correctly with client-side certificates?

1) They are domain specific and not path certificate based on content
inside them

2) Browsers pick the first certificate in their store that matches the
domain, though there could be infinite paths, thus infinite certificates
with the same domain inside the store

3) Browsers, even if it has the right domain, doesn't check the timeout date

4) PKI is not dynamic

5) Browsers don't and can't dynamically incorporate a new certificate
while in the middle of an SSL negotiation process

So, it doesn't work for dynamic nor micro-access.

Greg