[FoRK] DNT: another example of "you can't make this shit up"

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Oct 15 19:53:35 PDT 2012

On 10/15/12 10:43 AM, Damien Morton wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Stephen Williams<sdw at lig.net>  wrote:
>
>> Besides not leaving quite as much local information in browser local
>> databases, and perhaps being nicer for cross-browser / computer context
>> continuity, what do you see as the benefits of BrowserID vs. cookies?  They
>> seem equivalent for many purposes.
> Well, a browser ID is equivalent to a logon. Only sites that you have
> decided to become a member of would have access to your BrowserID. All the
> other tracking/marketing sites would not.

Many types of web application implementation strategies would break
without a cookie to tie different web page submissions together. Most
web apps that aren't a one-page Javascript or Flash app would be
broken.  That seems like a problem.  Many informational

While I'd like to have complete control over tracking / marketing sites,
I'm not sure the tradeoff on doing away with cookies is worth it.
> And... there is no reason why a BrowserID couldn't include a sessionID.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Persona
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/persona

Cool.  But it uses cookies in most cases.  With integral browser
support, it wouldn't have to use a cookie for the login info, but it
only solves the login mechanism, like OpenID but better.  Sort of a
Web/PKI Kerberos really.  While the authentication mechanism isn't
tracking the user, it doesn't affect the use of cookies.  Even if
cookies were disabled, web sites could use BrowserID mechanisms to make
connections between accounts on different sites that the user was logged
into.  Each site knows the email address of the user, which is worse
than cookies and typical login tokens in some ways, and they could
easily embed a boomerang web query in a page just like many methods
today (OpenID etc.).

Led me to OpenPhoto which is very cool too:
http://theopenphotoproject.org/