[FoRK] Mesh Networking and Web Applications

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Oct 17 09:01:42 PDT 2012

There's a commercial product that works for Windows to maintain a
stable session regardless of what happens to the underlying connection
types.  It is essentially a reconnectable VPN.  Forget the name, but it
is used by utilities and others for their workers in the field to tie
laptops to the enterprise LAN / cloud.

Really wouldn't be hard to hack something like that on top of OpenVPN
or similar.  Depends on what you want to run over it.

Sounds like you need a better mesh network system.  Although not
perfect, obviously the cellular voice/data networks work pretty well
most of the time for handover.  They rely on constant monitoring from
multiple towers of the current and likely next best tower and
coordinate the switch.  You have to have that to enable smooth handover.