[FoRK] Crafty Germans: well-crafted economic incentives optimizes market for solar

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Fri Oct 19 07:31:06 PDT 2012

On 10/19/12 10:06 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> It takes about 20 years to bootstrap a solar market,
> including competent architects or construction contractors.
In the late 70s, I took the ~one~ course about solar design available
from Western Michigan University, and bought half a dozen of the
engineering-related books available.  I studied up, designed a passive
structure, and merged it with my (built in 1860) home.  At twice its
previous size, energy costs dropped about half.

At that time, only one business in the county was focused on solar
engineering, solar energy, and solar heating.  That guy moved into
window replacement for a few years... and now he does SEO!!

A great argument for more solar:  it keeps people from going into SEO!  LOL

> Same thing for energy-efficienct housing, ever tried to
> price a passive home or zero energy home in the US?
It hasn't changed much in the intervening 35 years.  Then, you paid
extra because nobody knew what they were doing.  Now, you pay extra
because... they can charge you extra, knowing you'll save it back
several times over.

> If you start now, you can enjoy this in 20 years.
>
> Oh, wait, you probably can't
>
> http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Looking-Back-on-the-Limits-of-Growth.html
>
> It's too late. Sorry about that.
Pretty much.  But some people can ~pretend~ otherwise, spend
aggressively, and scrape out another decade or two of feeling impervious
to reality!

GS