[FoRK] Why Do So Many Republicans Really Hate Obama?

Joseph S. Barrera III j3 at barrera.org
Fri Oct 19 12:47:28 PDT 2012

I was curious about these novels so I looked one up on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AFOOLGHI4EGU5/ref=cm_pdp_rev_more?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R2UWM7CWUEXPM4

399 of 458 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars*Great series*,July 29, 2009
*This review is from:Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days (Left
Behind No. 1) (Paperback)
<http://www.amazon.com/Left-Behind-Novel-Earths-Last/dp/0842329129/ref=cm_aya_orig_subj>*
This is a review of the entire series, not an individual book.

Here's a detailed review of the series.

WARNING: SPOILERS
.
.
.
Essentially this series is about world domination. An advanced alien
civilization is trying to enslave the human race with minimal physical
effort over a long period of time (2000+ years or so.) They appear to
humanity and demonstrate acts of "magic" which is obviously technology
advanced enough to seem like magic to undeveloped civilizations. They
tell the humans that they're going to take away a portion of humanity to
signal their return after an undetermined period of time, at which time
they would rule the world. They also go in to detail about some other
events to signal their return, such as temporarily distorting the sun's
visible light spectrum. They then disappear, but not before they put
some sort of genetic marker on a portion of the human population.
Humanity progresses with some societies passing down stories of the
amazing magical being. Fast forward to present day and the aliens return
to abduct the descendents of the humans that received the genetic
marker, now numbering in the millions, thereby fulfilling the "prophecy."

This is where the science loses me a bit. The marked humans disappear
completely, leaving clothes & jewelry behind. I'm assuming this is some
sort of teleportation system that locks on using the genetic marker, but
I'm not entirely sure because the authors didn't go in to detail.
Regardless, the humans are transported to a storage facility (another
planet or dimension?) and held for use later in the series.

The disappearance sparks a world-wide civil war, pitting those that
believe the aliens are some sort of deity against those that don't. Many
of the alien prophecies come true, the Sun's light disappearing, etc.,
which makes sense since they planned it all along.

Nuclear civil war destroys the infrastructure of the world, much like
why Skynet planned in the Terminator franchise. At the end the aliens
finally reappear and bring back the millions they've had in stasis. They
use some sort of neutron bomb/weapon to obliterate one side of the civil
war--I can't remember which. The surviving side now worships the aliens
as deities and they assume complete control over the Earth.

I hope there's a few more books planned describing the after effects of
this enslavement. What do the aliens want? Breeding ground, resources,
slave species?

On 10/19/2012 12:40 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2012, at 10:53 PM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>
>> The "Left Behind" novels were popular fiction with some fringe religious types during the run-up to Y2K; I knew people that read them. This is the first I've heard of them in years. Consequently, I doubt they are material to anything going on this election cycle. I have never read the books; were I to find myself with copious time to read schlock literature, I can't imagine spending it there.
> http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118061012
>
> "Nicolas Cage is in negotiations to topline "Left Behind," a mainstream reboot of the Christian-themed movie trilogy that will mark the first film from Stoney Lake Entertainment, a new production company led by Paul Lalonde of faith-oriented banner Cloud Ten Pictures."
>
> You ever get tired of your triangulation stitckt, Rodgers? Must be lonely being the only sensible human on earth.
>
> -- whump

Sent from my HP 9100A