[FoRK] Why Do So Many Republicans Really Hate Obama?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Oct 19 15:29:28 PDT 2012

On 10/19/12 9:39 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2012, at 6:12 AM, Gary Stock <gstock at nexcerpt.com> wrote:
>> Yes.  Those who live in large cities, or near either coast of the US, may not fully comprehend the lunacy fomented here between.

I left the hinterlands of Northern Ohio a long time ago, but I have to say that my impression is that even rural areas there are
surprisingly sane compared to many other areas of the US.  There was a high worship spot to population it seemed, but it was all
very self-contained and low key.  Even the fundamentalistish types (Pentacostal) were fairly solemn and tame.  Occasionally some
traveling preacher would set up shop in a field, but I don't think they got much traction.

>> Imagine hearing that, or something further out, at ~least~ monthly -- even when you try to avoid gatherings where that might occur.
>
> You take this way too seriously. In any decent city, you'll hear outlandish nutty stuff weekly from every part of the spectrum. It is unavoidable, people don't wear labels. It practically guarantees an interesting conversation unless you exist in a perpetually offended state.

In Silicon Valley, I can't think of any instance of that in nearly 6 years.  In at least half the time, I would guess people I run
into are nones or semi-nones.

In SF, you can easily find falling-off-the-left edge types, but they seem very harmless, mostly inebriated / high or gushing with
"love" or something.  And they're not really that apparent to me outside of Haight or city-wide parties.

Occasionally, maybe once every 90 days, I'll see one or two people in downtown San Jose, a city of 1 million, who are holding up
religious you're-going-to-Hell or similar posters or up on a soap box preaching to passers by.  I've never seen anyone pay them any
attention, as if they weren't there.