[FoRK] Why Do So Many Republicans Really Hate Obama?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Oct 19 19:03:12 PDT 2012

On 10/19/12 5:09 PM, Bill Kearney wrote:
> If I had to guess I'd say the cold weather of the northern climes tends to drive a lot of the nonsense out.  Sorta like a frost
> killing the mosquitoes. Venture to where the weather's less harsh and the nonsense seems to dial up. There's exceptions, of
> course, but I'd venture those have more to do with isolation than climate by itself.

Exactly.  Long periods of cold weather, often being far from safety, make you appreciate fragility and common needs.

For a long time after we moved to the DC area, when we met friendly people they turned out to be from Ohio a disproportionate amount
of the time.  I eventually decided that a combination of the cold, sparsity, and often-bleak and far away horizons (drive across
Ohio in any direction in the winter, gazing miles across desolate corn / wheat / soybean fields) made one tend to appreciate the
stark warmth of another human.

Whereas in NYC and maybe Chicago, constant exposure to too many other humans tended to cause a general repulsion which probably
becomes a bit of a habitual baseline.  There must be some related dynamic in the south, or they just go crazy from having their
brain baked too often in the literal sense.  The dynamic in the DC area is probably multifaceted with once-southern locals resenting
the northernization of the rich half of the state, many different immigrants and diplomats, cautious government workers with
security clearances, etc.