[FoRK] Why Do So Many Republicans Really Hate Obama?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Sat Oct 20 00:26:06 PDT 2012

On Oct 19, 2012, at 3:29 PM, "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> You take this way too seriously. In any decent city, you'll hear outlandish nutty stuff weekly from every part of the spectrum. It is unavoidable, people don't wear labels. It practically guarantees an interesting conversation unless you exist in a perpetually offended state.
>
> In Silicon Valley, I can't think of any instance of that in nearly 6 years.  In at least half the time, I would guess people I run into are nones or semi-nones.

I meant a real urban core. It seems to be part of the scenery in every major urban center where I spend a lot of time. Personally, I don't mind at all. Running into the occasional communist or creationist beats the pablum of Silicon Valley and it implies that you will run into other interesting people with slightly more realistic perspectives as well. Social diversity FTW.

Silicon Valley is a homogeneous suburb the size of a small country. Social diversity is not part of the sales pitch.

> In SF, you can easily find falling-off-the-left edge types, but they seem very harmless, mostly inebriated / high or gushing with "love" or something.  And they're not really that apparent to me outside of Haight or city-wide parties.

Sure, they seem harmless because they are mostly harmless. In the countless instances where I've chatted with fringe believers of every type, I can only think of one episode where someone actually became unhinged because I argued contrary to their beliefs. That was an anti-vaxxer in SF of all things. More often than not, they seem happy for the opportunity to air their views even if I turn out to be the devil.

While most urban cores seem to have a far-left bias to their fringe groups some have a broader representation of strange folk than others. SF actually seems to lack some diversity in that regard.