[FoRK] Why Do So Many Republicans Really Hate Obama?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Sat Oct 20 10:30:07 PDT 2012

On Oct 20, 2012, at 9:06 AM, "Joseph S. Barrera III" <j3 at barrera.org> wrote:

> What definition of Silicon Valley are we using today? Does it exclude all the ethnic communities and concentrations in San Jose, Fremont, Alviso, Cupertino, etc?

I usually use the Santa Clara county definition.

> Race isn't probably the best proxy for social diversity, but it should at least help refute the "homogeneous" nonsense.

Race is a poor proxy in the Valley because it defines so little of its character.

The high diffusion of ethnic influence makes the experience of living in any particular "ethnic" area nearly the same as any other neighborhood. Even the good ethnic restaurants are weakly geographically correlated with their respective ethnic neighborhoods.

People that live in Silicon Valley become assimilated by it. Its character is defined by the churn of tech companies and jobs rather than historical ethnic concentrations. Even if you live in, say, a purely Vietnamese neighborhood, it is largely indistinguishable from living in a predominantly white neighborhood.

If Silicon Valley was part of a large, urban metropolis, it would be two very large "neighborhoods" delineated by concentrations of wealth rather than ethnicity. San Francisco, by comparison, is a relatively diverse city.