[FoRK] Why Do So Many Republicans Really Hate Obama?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Oct 20 11:11:40 PDT 2012

On 10/20/12 10:30 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2012, at 9:06 AM, "Joseph S. Barrera III" <j3 at barrera.org> wrote:
>> What definition of Silicon Valley are we using today? Does it exclude all the ethnic communities and concentrations in San Jose, Fremont, Alviso, Cupertino, etc?
>
> I usually use the Santa Clara county definition.

That's my impression, Santa Clara County is substantially all of traditional Silicon Valley.  Redwood City and/or everything
south of it including and north of downtown San Jose.
Extends to Milpitas to the East, maybe including Milpitas at this point.  The bulk of Cisco is centered near the Milpitas border.

>> Race isn't probably the best proxy for social diversity, but it should at least help refute the "homogeneous" nonsense.
>
> Race is a poor proxy in the Valley because it defines so little of its character.
>
> The high diffusion of ethnic influence makes the experience of living in any particular "ethnic" area nearly the same as any other neighborhood. Even the good ethnic restaurants are weakly geographically correlated with their respective ethnic neighborhoods.
>
> People that live in Silicon Valley become assimilated by it. Its character is defined by the churn of tech companies and jobs rather than historical ethnic concentrations. Even if you live in, say, a purely Vietnamese neighborhood, it is largely indistinguishable from living in a predominantly white neighborhood.
>
> If Silicon Valley was part of a large, urban metropolis, it would be two very large "neighborhoods" delineated by concentrations of wealth rather than ethnicity. San Francisco, by comparison, is a relatively diverse city.

Additionally, San Francisco is in some sense merging with Silicon Valley recently.  I think years of Google work buses between
SF-MV was a big part of changing perception.  SF/SV/SJ were always connected, but it has become much more fluid and
interconnected over the last 6 years.  The young and party oriented want to be in SF. Gaming and photography and related
artistic skills are centered in SF while hardware is centered in San Jose.  The valley in between is a fluid spectrum between.
Oakland seems to have the edge musically, especially for the R&B / rap oriented, although SF must be a big player there and
there's some in SV also.

In some sense, including investment and worker mobility, it is really Silicon Bay, extending about 15 miles from the water in
all directions.  A little further to the East in the East Bay to include Pleasanton.

LA, San Diego, Seattle, Boise, and to a weak extent Las Vegas, Austin, and Houston are sister cities.