[FoRK] Why Do So Many Republicans Really Hate Obama?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Oct 20 11:40:39 PDT 2012

On 10/20/12 8:49 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> The thing I hate most about XXX people, like you find in YYY, is how proud they are to make sweeping generalizations about
> other people. I lived in a <town/city/suburb> in/near YYY for several years and I was appalled the bizarre beliefs they have
> about folks from ZZZ. Something about the <weather/altitude/history/water/neutrino flux> in YYY seems to produce a breed of
> intolerance that would never be tolerated in ZZZ.

Contrast that with people from LLL who never try to understand people from ZZZ beyond what their pastor has told them about the
unwashed, the fornicators, the depths of hell brought forth to those falsely idyllic shores with their unnatural and hedonistic
weather allowing them to wantonly run naked in the streets during disdainful unholy paganistic festivals cravenly and haughtily
celebrating the strength of human individuality without giving thanks to God.  ("You didn't build that...")

Proud to make sweeping generalizations about other people?  Odd way of looking at observations and attempts to understand what
people are thinking and why.  (Very interesting Mr. Barrera, prepare to be analyzed.  ;-)  )  Examining this relative to myself:
While I might have a favorable comparison of certain aspects of where I grew up compared to certain other areas, I'm certainly
not interested in moving back there in any circumstance I can think of.  Perhaps I'd have my 8th summer house there or
something, but I find many aspects, especially the general intelligence, drive, humanity, and modernity of areas far more
attractive.  I probably appreciate and maybe embrace it much more than those that might have grown up in those areas, which is
something positive about being a transplant, but it doesn't mean that I have much nostalgia for anything.  Maybe for being in
certain situations again to make better choices and the children being young.  (Darn, could only self-analyze.)

I think we were trying to find and understand the contours of the slopes vs. the depths of the Unthinking spectrum and memes
thereof. (Yes, that's a Vinge reference.  And all hail Dawkins too.)