[FoRK] Why Do So Many Republicans Really Hate Obama?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Sun Oct 21 11:52:04 PDT 2012

On Oct 20, 2012, at 11:40 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Examining this relative to myself: While I might have a favorable comparison of certain aspects of where I grew up compared to certain other areas, I'm certainly not interested in moving back there in any circumstance I can think of.  Perhaps I'd have my 8th summer house there or something, but I find many aspects, especially the general intelligence, drive, humanity, and modernity of areas far more attractive.  I probably appreciate and maybe embrace it much more than those that might have grown up in those areas, which is something positive about being a transplant, but it doesn't mean that I have much nostalgia for anything.

+1

It is like looking through some old code you've written that you remembering being great. Time and distance generates a more honest appraisal when revisited, both positive and negative.

I definitely exhibit this bias when remembering places. The skewed first impression lingers even after living in a place for years. After a couple years away, the second impression is quite different because I understand the positive aspects but am much less blind to the negative aspects that I never paid attention to the first time around. It is difficult to account for even though I know it is happening.