[FoRK] The Post-Apocalypse Survival Machine Nerd Farm

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Nov 12 11:12:06 PST 2012

On 11/12/12 9:47 AM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 11:57:32PM -0800, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>> Cross this with Burning Man, County Fairs, 4H, Boy Scouts, etc., and
>> you could make a thing out of focused survival tech training / fairs
>> / camping / parties.
> These guys started this where I live: http://trackerspdx.com/
> And then branched out to the Bay Area: https://www.trackersearth.com/
>
> Advanced course: http://www.cavemanchemistry.com
>
> As a former Boy Scout, I'd love to get involved in something that got kids
> outside, away from their parents, getting competent at doing things.
>
> Girl Scouts seems to do things well, maybe they need a Boys Auxiliary. :)

Girl Scouts and, ironically, the YMCA Indian Guides and Indian Princesses are better than the Boy Scouts in at least two senses:
They explicitly do not have a religious test and they are very inclusive.  I should have mentioned them.  Boy Scouts however seem to
have more depth, Eagle Scout etc.  4H isn't too bad either, and already hands-on for mechanical, farming, etc.  I was a surrogate
father-type for my best friend's little brother for small engine repair class in 4H, held in a barn out in the countryside.

I was too poor to participate.  I'm probably better off having been a completely independent, self-directed explorer.