[FoRK] Reminder: ZSF launch event tomorrow! Please help spread the word if you can!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Nov 16 08:41:56 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:13:23AM -0500, Gary Stock wrote:

> Does ZS have a "loyal opposition"?  The presentation is appealing, but

That would be probably Dale Carrico (probably, not too loyal).
Actually, that's an excellent point, everybody feel free
to pluck the tenets of Zero State apart. (/Me ducks, and covers).

> avoids revealing any weaknesses.
>
> Brief examples of triggers of doubt:
>
> Discussing BCI, without ever defining the acronym, suggests a mild but

A habitual danger in futurist circles. BCI stands for
Brain-Computer Interface
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain%E2%80%93computer_interface

I'm personally quite skeptical that BCI is of any near-term
(20-30 years) utility, since elective neurosurgery (e.g. for ECoG)
is somewhat frowned upon, and real IQ-enhancement would require
~10^6 to ~10^9 in situ probes and according processing power behind it,
so unlikely to be of any relevance to anyone reading this message
in the year 2012, or even 2020, or 2030 as the technology
won't mature during their biological lifetimes, and, no, I
don't think that you can push the lifespan envelope by more
than 20 years, tops.

What I think is definitely relevant is the potential need for
a way to eliminate the peri-arrest phase in cryonics patients
due to compromised perfusion (interested people are pointed
towards https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bw5aoFXKXj7OQ1pyZTNXNHRQVkE ),
which would require a friendly jurisdiction (Netherlands and
Switzerland, sadly, do not qualify).

> natural flavor of "inbreeding toward irrelevance."  It leaves me
> wondering if the group is too self-referential.
>
> Pitching Bitcoin as so highly profitable has all the hallmarks of an
> investment scam.  It leaves me wondering if the group is unaware of how

May I interest you in in some stock of the South Sea company? ;)

> that appears to outsiders.
>
> Can someone recommend a usable -- i.e., rational, moderate, concise --
> statement of ways in which ZS or bitcoin may ~not~ work as intended?

BitCoin itself looks remarkably well-engineered, and so far has
resisted attacks (other than by means of market manipulation,
break-ins and scams, that is). It scratches a real itch, so it's
unlikely to go away even if there's a crackdown on exchanges
within the next 5 years, or so. So I think BTC, and its cousins
(no heir apparent yet, though) will be around for a while.

As to ZS, see above.

> Of what has not been said, but might ~need~ to be considered?

I must plead a bad case of Dunning-Kruger here. Anyone here
hip to the unknown unknowns? Anyone? Anyone? Rumsfeld?