[FoRK] [ZS] Re: Reminder: ZSF launch event tomorrow! Please help spread the?word?if you can!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Nov 16 08:42:26 PST 2012

----- Forwarded message from "ZeroState.net" <info at zerostate.net> -----

From: "ZeroState.net" <info at zerostate.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:25:05 +0000
To: DoctrineZero at googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [ZS] Re: [FoRK] Reminder: ZSF launch event tomorrow! Please help
	spread the?word?if you can!

On 16 November 2012 16:18, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Gary Stock <gstock at nexcerpt.com> -----
> Does ZS have a "loyal opposition"?  The presentation is appealing, but
> avoids revealing any weaknesses.
>
> Brief examples of triggers of doubt:
>
> Discussing BCI, without ever defining the acronym, suggests a mild but
> natural flavor of "inbreeding toward irrelevance."  It leaves me wondering
> if the group is too self-referential.
>
> Pitching Bitcoin as so highly profitable has all the hallmarks of an
> investment scam.  It leaves me wondering if the group is unaware of how
> that appears to outsiders.
>
> Can someone recommend a usable -- i.e., rational, moderate, concise --
> statement of ways in which ZS or bitcoin may ~not~ work as intended?
>
> Of what has not been said, but might ~need~ to be considered?
>
> Thanks,
> GS

These are very good points indeed. We are aware of a range of possible
failure modes, but haven't gone through them explicitly. I would
personally welcome people discussing them here and/or at tomorrow's
event, in the spirit of people participating with "open eyes". We do
*not* want to give anyone the impression that this is a "sure thing".
It is a high-risk-high-reward investment plan. That said, several of
the major failure modes allow people to walk away with their money
back, so it's not nearly as risky as it could be. I don't have time to
break down all the scenarios now, but would welcome people doing a
little scenario-exploration...

--
25
http://zerostate.net