[FoRK] [ZS] Re: Reminder: ZSF launch event tomorrow! Please help spread the?word?if you can!

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Fri Nov 16 13:01:57 PST 2012

On 11/16/12 12:00 PM, Rüdiger Koch wrote:

>     Does ZS have a "loyal opposition"?  The presentation is appealing, but
>     avoids revealing any weaknesses.
>

> The presentation is supposed to give an overview, the main idea, not a
> comprehensive discussion of all imaginable scenarios.
"All imaginable scenarios?" <sigh>

Leading with a mild insult does have one redeeming feature:  it confirms
my suspicion regarding the defensive tone of the movement.  (Bonus:  it
clarifies the degree of smugness fueling its resentment of cultural norms.)

In the future, one helpful response might be to fulfill such requests
for external sources.  For example, perhaps:

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~eroberts/cs181/projects/2010-11/DigitalCurrencies/disadvantages/index.html

Such a non-aggressive response, though, would be fitting only for an
organization seeking a broader audience.  In ZS' case, outreach
apparently is not a goal; that is helpful to understand.

> It was simply assumed that BCI is an acronym that doesn't require
> definition in H+ circles. After all, this is not something obscure. A
> Google search for "BCI" returns:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain%E2%80%93computer_interface
> as the first result.
Of course:  the additional oblique insult. <SIGH>

Since (like five nines of humanity) I am not "in H+ circles," but still
~do~ know the definition of "BCI," the additional oblique insult was
unfortunately also misdirected.  If I may repeat:

 > Discussing BCI, without ever defining the acronym, suggests a mild
 > but natural flavor of "inbreeding toward irrelevance."  It leaves me
 > wondering if the group is too self-referential.

Glib use of a token as obscure as "H+" confirms that suspicion, as well.

As a rule, implications about observers being "too stupid to use Google"
appear unwelcoming.

The entire exchange might well be summarized by this snippet:

>     It leaves me wondering if the group is unaware of how
>     that appears to outsiders.
>

> That is indeed a problem.
Yes.  I had hoped not.  But, indeed it is.

GS

Gary Stock                                        gstock at nexcerpt.com
Nexcerpt            http://www.nexcerpt.com/      269.624.1140 direct