[FoRK] Alan Kay Interview

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Sun Nov 18 09:37:01 PST 2012

On 11/18/12 1:17 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> On 11/16/12 10:27 AM, Gary Stock wrote:
>> I had a similar reaction:  professional team sports as practiced
>> today represent the clearest evidence that society is
>> self-destructive -- and that we will follow willingly to our demise.
>> Corporations score differently, and hide competition under certain
>> cloaks, but it's the same impulse sucking the life out of everything
>> they touch.
> Why do you believe that?
I believe that because it is consistent with a great majority of
observations of sports, human societies, and corporations, while being
inconsistent with only a very few.

At the core of professional sports (including teams) is the goal of
defeating others (or other teams).  Some might suggest that their goal
is making money, but that obliges the primary goal of defeating others.

People engaged in these sports routinely impose damaging drugs on their
bodies to enhance their ability to compete, or to defeat others.  They
routinely accept, and even seek, brutally physically and physiologically
damaging punishment in the service of defeating others.  Some might
suggest that their goal is making money, but that obliges the primary
goal of defeating others.

These behaviors parallel human society's habituation to various states
of war (see any essay on the language alone, e.g.
http://www.sgiquarterly.org/feature2006Jly-2.html ,
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2003-04-06-lipsyte_x.htm
,
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2010/09/drill-and-kill-how-americans-link-war-and-sports/63832/
), and growing willingness to poison itself perpetually, and to degrade
itself, its members, and its physical resources for short term gain of
one ethnic or social group (read "team") over another.

Corporations do so often with greater guile, but always with a clear
understanding that what matters most is benefit to the corporation (read
"team") itself, regardless of harm to others, and with the explicit goal
of besting, defeating, and possibly destroying "the competition."

Please reflect on the use of that word in that context.

In each case, harm to other "teams" is accepted -- in fact, it is often
desired and routinely rewarded.  There may be greater reward -- in
honors or riches -- by doing harm to the self (physically, spiritually,
or otherwise) in idealized service of the team.

However, anyone who harms "the team" is either an enemy to be defeated,
or a traitor to be punished, expelled, or actually killed.

Worse than death, perhaps, are punishments such as being banned from
"the team," or carrying the reputation of having let "the team" down.
(Cf. Joe Paterno.)

> Can you explain either of those sentences?
Yes. So could Judas Iscariot in re: the Apostles; Benedict Arnold in re:
the Continental Army; awww, bloody hell, how is this ~not~ the most
~obvious~ reality in all of human history?

    http://www.corporatecrimereporter.com/top100.html

> Some things are certainly suboptimal although it seems that your
> identification of what's broken is different from mine.
Then I submit that you have missed some very important elements.

A more useful question, perhaps:  why would anyone ~not~ believe that?
Even Kearney's boorish (drunken?) texts insist it's true!

GS