[FoRK] advances in spintronics

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Nov 23 08:06:24 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 07:56:18AM -0800, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> Good for laptops, bad for workstations.

MRAM is actually great for stacked memories, since
it's nonvolatile, and has SRAM speed. Flash is at the
end of scaling, so this should eat flash eventually.

> Although I wonder if you couldn't use 6 slots for 8 or 16GB per slot
> traditional DDR3 and the remaining two for 2GB of "power persistent"
> storage.

You'll notice they put it on an LSI RAID adapter, where it
saves a bufering battery.

> I wonder if the design deprecates ECC? Or do you still need to do ECC

It doesn't flip, as MRAM is rad-proof.

> refreshes?

The real interesting thing is that a slight MRAM cell
extension can do basic logic. So that one will eat FPGA eventually.