[FoRK] advances in spintronics

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Fri Nov 23 08:15:59 PST 2012

On 11/23/2012 8:06 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> MRAM is actually great for stacked memories, since
> it's nonvolatile, and has SRAM speed. Flash is at the
> end of scaling, so this should eat flash eventually.

I don't know if I agree with that.  In a world where they are creating
1Terabyte volatile RAM per slot with high end applications that use
memcache and run the full software stack in memory, the size roadmap
becomes very limiting.

> You'll notice they put it on an LSI RAID adapter, where it
> saves a bufering battery.

Ok.  BTW a complete aside, my stupid battery on my LSI board has been
charging for 3 days and still isn't charged.  It's supposed to take a
half an hour.  I'm assuming it popped out during shipping or else is
missing altogether, but I haven't had time to recrack open the box.
Stupid LSI. :-)

> It doesn't flip, as MRAM is rad-proof.

That's good.

>> refreshes?
>
> The real interesting thing is that a slight MRAM cell
> extension can do basic logic. So that one will eat FPGA eventually.

Good also.

Greg