[FoRK] Solving mobile OS upgrade / replacement / evolution: Android and beyond

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Fri Dec 7 06:49:21 PST 2012

On 12/7/2012 1:22 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> I am skeptical that you could make an economic argument for significantly virtualizing mobile platforms that makes sense today.

My case for mobilizing virtual platforms from talking to half a dozen
big enterprises on the subject.

I worked for a VC funded company (that failed for a variety of reasons
not having to do with the concept or funding for that matter) that
virtualized mobile platforms (SecondVoice).

It addressed the individual liability (IL) vs the corporate liability
(CL) of collecting mobile information.

It basically split any phone into multiple personalities, phone numbers,
SMS/Data such that the corporation paying for the phone could own a
virtual part of the phone including a real number while the user could
keep control of their own phone and their own number.  The most
important part was that the company could control and virtually assign
any number of company assigned number and data, but the user had
complete control over theirs.  The best part was it wasn't any different
than just using your phone normally--there was no gvoice or skype app
that took over your phone.  It was all completely virtualized.

Companies, large enterprise companies that are spending millions on
telcom and data and management of their mobile workforce have a huge
economic argument for having control, data, and some virtualized
footprint without imposing or disrupting their user's personal behavior.

It made a lot of sense a few years ago and even more sense today.

Greg