[FoRK] Why is OpenQwaq better than Hangouts?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 21 12:49:31 PST 2012

----- Forwarded message from Ron Teitelbaum <ron at 3dicc.com> -----

From: Ron Teitelbaum <ron at 3dicc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 14:17:16 -0500
To: openqwaq at googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Why is OpenQwaq better than Hangouts?

Hi Guilio,

It's called Croquet 2.0 because it is the same model.  The model is a
distributed instruction model that is based on a shared Island Time.  It was
originally envisioned by David Reed in his dissertation
http://publications.csail.mit.edu/lcs/specpub.php?id=773

When a user does something (like presses the arrow key on his computer) the
system creates and sends the instruction to a central location that provides
Island time.  That system timestamps the instruction and sends it out to
everyone.  Every computer then plays the instruction in order so that the
consistency of the environment is maintained.   Since the tiny instructions
are much smaller than rendering graphics and sending them out over the wire,
this is a very efficient way to maintain a consistent state.

VWF is a new version of this sort of client with some really cool new
concepts added in by David Smith.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Head Of Engineering