[FoRK] Recommendations for a reliable subscription-based SSL VPN or proxy service for "secure, portable, virtual" office?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Dec 29 14:48:57 PST 2012

I wouldn't recommend X over WAN, although there are fast connections these days.
VNC can be better in some, but not all cases.  NoX and some newer choices are improvements.  If you have a machine you don't mind
using desktop-level resources (which for me means very active use of RAM, CPU), vncserver on Linux is a good solution as you can
reconnect to pick up where you left, just like screen.

There have been a number of virtualization services that seem perfect for what you're looking for although they are in control of
everything.  Virtualbox with the newer remote access methods and protocols may become usable.  VMWare + NVidia's new GPU cards now
support many-VM HW GPU acceleration support.  Very impressive, they demoed 100 GPU-intensive applications on Windows running on a 2U
server.