[FoRK] Recommendations for a reliable subscription-based SSL VPN or proxy service for "secure, portable, virtual" office?

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 12:38:33 PST 2013

Sorry to be so delinquent replying - I don't have much online time
over the holiday.

The incantation you seek is "ssh tunneling." What you need is a local
ssh client, available via cygwin for example, and an ssh account out
beyond the firewall.

Creating a tunnel:
http://www.revsys.com/writings/quicktips/ssh-tunnel.html
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/ssh-tunneling-poor-techies-vpn

Hooking your browser up to use the tunnel:
https://www.google.com/search?q=browser+to+ssh+tunnel
https://calomel.org/firefox_ssh_proxy.html

Using Putty instead of console ssh client:
http://parabing.com/2011/04/01/ssh-tunneling-for-secure-web-surfing/
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-tunnel-traffic-with-ssh/

"The best choice is to use Firefox, because Firefox allows you to
configure the browser to also send DNS requests through the proxy. If
you use Internet Explorer, your DNS requests are still made via the
local network you connect from and thus can still be monitored. So
Firefox would be the preferred browser if you wish to maintain privacy
on the network you are connecting from. To set up Firefox to use the
dynamic tunnel as a SOCKS proxy, go to ..."