[FoRK] Bizarre Internet / Google problems, Dolphin

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jan 2 11:01:56 PST 2013

On Wed Jan  2 10:58:12 2013, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> On Wed Jan  2 10:42:09 2013, Lorin Rivers wrote:
>> Fwiw, I was having intermittent connectivity issues yesterday.
>
> Often, things break on weekends and holidays and don't get fixed until the next business day.  The on-call personnel, if they
> exist at all, are often ill equipped or motivated to fix anything serious.  Commodity markets are bad that way, unless people make
> an issue of it.
>

>> WiMAX is commonly heavily oversubscribed to make the business model work, so it could be that.
>>

> I am in an area of NE Sunnyvale that seems to be in range of many WiMax towers.  My power is 5x5.  Couldn't be any stronger
> signal.  The problem is past the radios.
> On their coverage map, I count around 10 towers within 1-2 miles, with one practically on top of our home.

And they state repeatedly that 3Mbps is the minimum receive bandwidth
that they expect to provide.  Anything less is considered broken.
6Mbps max, 4-5 nominal.  I had 5Mbps solid for quite a while, then it
ratcheted down to 2, then 1, then .2-.5.  But the old receiver gets
2.5-3.5Mbps, perhaps using an older frequency.  Or an account that
isn't throttled.  Or the new modem is just going bad.  No time to waste
on this.  6 months until Comcast is project to be available.  Even
DirectTV has partnered with a VSAT provider for a fairly impressive and
reasonably priced service, although not unlimited transfer.