[FoRK] Raise your hand if you rate minimum LOC as an important metric

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jan 14 12:04:22 PST 2013

On Mon Jan 14 11:19:24 2013, Ken Meltsner wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Kevin Marks <kevinmarks at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> More concise should win, but as a tie breaker. Over-stressing conciseness
>> can be as bad as using lines of code written per day as a productivity
>> metric.
>>

> Richard Gabriel likened it to "compression" as used by poets -- the ability
> to reference a complex feeling or situation with a single word or phrase --
> the literary equivalent of macro expansion.

“I didn’t have time to write a short letter, so I’ve written a long one instead.”
http://colleenhoover.com/2012/02/04/i-didnt-have-time-to-write-a-short-letter-so-ive-written-a-long-one-instead/

Coding is highly analogous to writing in this way.

> Highly compressed poems can pack quite a bit of meaning into a small space,
> but at the expense of readability and clarity.

Possibly at the expense of readability and clarity. You could get quite a few points across in less detail than War & Peace.