[FoRK] Epic Fail - security fundamentals

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jan 15 09:20:00 PST 2013

On Mon Jan 14 20:26:15 2013, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> On 1/14/2013 11:15 AM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
>
> > My Mercury Milan only unlocks when you open a door.
>
> That's strange -- most doors can only be opened *after* you unlock them :-)

A number of cars assume that using an internal door handle implies an
intent to unlock.  I've rented cards that did that.  Some old car I've
been in did it mechanically too.

My Voyager minivan auto-locks at 20mph.  Seems like a good feature.
Except that it occasionally kicks in for some reason even in park.
When I was moving furniture to Santa Barbara for my daughter several
years ago, when it was completely packed, I stopped along side the
highway.  Something had shifted, so I left the vehicle running while I
readjusted things.  As soon as I closed the door, the vehicle decided
to lock all doors.  Luckily, on the sliding doors, it accomplishes that
with 4 big contacts and one of those wasn't contacting well that day so
that door didn't lock.  Otherwise, I would have had a fun time flagging
someone down to get someone to open the running vehicle where my cell
phone was.

Now, I reflexively leave a window down whenever leaving a vehicle
running for a moment.