[FoRK] Epic Fail - security fundamentals

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Tue Jan 15 09:41:35 PST 2013

My wife's vanpool car locks any time after you start the ignition, even
if you are just starting it up to turn on the heater in 32F socal
weather.  You have to roll down the window partially so that you can
unlock it by reaching in, or else it's AAA baby.

Her other car auto-locks and unlocks when you put it in drive or park.
I turned all that off.  At least they give you a complicated setting to
do it.

I remember the fork post about the car thief in the UK.  Some car
company advertised their new security with a live demonstration.  The
thief kicked the front bumper hard enough to deploy the airbag which
unlocked the doors (good for saving your life, bad for saving your car)
and drove off with it.  I don't have time to find the link, so homework
left up to the reader...

Greg