[FoRK] what tech will your kids never use?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Feb 22 16:53:57 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:18:39AM -0500, Bill Kearney wrote:
[...]
> Film cameras
> Vinyl records (one friend's kid remarked "look, black CD's!" when
> first coming across 45's at a flea market.)

I sent some choice grunge records to my 15-year old nephew, to accompany
the record player he got for Xmas.  He was born, incidentally, well after
Kurt Cobain (and grunge in general) died.

He's a wannabe hipster, though.  I'm sure a Lomo camera will be next.

Becoming uncommon or specialty items:
* Gas lawn mowers, edgers and line trimmers
* Checking accounts (of my 3 tenants, only one has one.)
* Oxyacetylene welding (It's all MIG and plasma cutters)
* High school shop
* Open mics at non-music venues (Thanks, SEASAC, ASCAP and BMI!)
* Stick-shift (several carjackings have been foiled by a clutch pedal)
* Cars w/o ABS (motorcycles, later)
* Smoking in bars (except in the South and parts of the inland West)