[FoRK] what tech will your kids never use?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Feb 23 00:27:29 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 07:08:59PM -0500, Bill Kearney wrote:
> Carb cleaner ain't going away.  I'm guessing you've never seen the intake
> of a throttle body...  Now, unless you're equating that with the demise
> of the internal combustion engine... which is still pretty unlikely, at
> least within a generation or two.

Oh, once it happens, it will be very quick. Poor people
can't afford very expensive liquids.

> Typewriters still do a better job of quick labeling something.  Without

Haven't seen one in a great long while. Sure aren't they mythical?

> the waste of tape in one of those Brother strips printers...  But that
> does make for serious overkill.  My old Royal still gets put to use for
> the occasional envelope or other label.  But not for any kind of actual
> correspondence. So, yeah, I wouldn't make bets on typewriter
> manufacturing staying alive much longer...
>
> Keyless igntion, what a joke.  I've come across no less than four cars
> left running by their owners.  Too dumb or impatient to not just press
> the start/stop button.

Another atrocity electric propulsion will take care of. "Idling"?
What the heck is that?

> Sewing machines still work great.  Some of the newest ones have pretty
> amazing programmable features these days.  But in a pinch I'll still drag
> out my Mom's old Bernina now and then to run a quick stitch across
> something that's come loose.

Might become quite useful, see poor people.

> I'm still amazed at how poorly mail clients handle using scanned image
> attachments.  Faxes do truly deserve to die, but mail clients ain't

For faxes to die you need the law changed.

> coming close to putting them out of commission.
>
> Answering machines, yeah, they're toast.  I guess there's still some

Maybe our answering machines are your typewriters. Still work fine.
As to voice, I almost never use it myself.