[FoRK] what tech will your kids never use?

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Mon Feb 25 00:30:30 PST 2013

It was thus said that the Great Bill Kearney once stated:
> Indeed, but for auto use they're toast.
>
> For tourism, however, there's really something to be said for the finer
> detail you can get in an overview of an area.  A map folding out to 36"
> packs quite a lot more accessible information than panning and zooming
> around even something as large as a tablet screen.  That and you get better
> collaborative accessibility.  Several people can pore over a larger map
> better.

  Maps still leave something to be desired.

  A bit from a blog entry [1] I wrote about an oh-so-wonderful trip to
Orando my SO and I took a few years ago:

	The trip to Orlando was uneventful. The trip in Orlando was
	horrible.  Orlando is this huge sucking vortex of ill-marked,
	multiply-named, non-Euclidean roadways designed by disgruntled
	parking lot architects (for instance, W Irlo Bronson Memorial
	Highway is also SR-500, SR-530, US-192, US-17 and US-441; then
	there's S Apopka Vineland Road, aka CR-435, Vineland Road, and
	SR-535, which is not to be confused with Apopka Vineland Road, which
	isn't connected to S Apopka Vineland Road, and is also known as
	CR-435 and Clarcona Road, which turns into S Park Ave, then N Park
	Ave before turning into Rock Springs Road where it ends). Worse yet,
	the map Bunny purchased prior to the trip turned out to be largely
	useless.

  I haven't bought a map since I got an iPhone (and I held off on iOS 6
until Google Maps was available).

  -spc (We would have killed for an iPhone or iPad on that trip ... )

[1]	http://boston.conman.org/2010/06/25.1