[FoRK] what tech will your kids never use?

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 25 07:20:57 PST 2013

People have always been stupid and that's not likely to change.

It'd be an interesting discussion as to whether it matters.  There's
definitely something to be said for the mental possession (and presumably
mastery) of a body of learned knowledge.  As in, 'knowing' something vs
being dependent on 'stfw' every time.  But that searching does present a lot
more accessibility of information to folks that would never likely master a
body of knowledge anyway.   They'd either merrily plod forward in their
ignorance, or remain beholden to whatever 'experts' they  sought out.

I can recall someone commenting about blogging as 'making it too easy' for
people to get information.   Which I gathered to mean it would make it too
easy for people to 'go around' the sort of gatekeepers that held the
information blogging would make more readily accessible.   Sure, it's pulled
the rug out from under a lot of marginal consulting and newsletters, but has
perhaps increased the value to truly focused sources.  Consulting still pays
when the clients do the math.  If anything it avoids having to waste time
selling to clients that would balk at the prices anyway.

So can you cite specifics where there's really any increase in stupidity?
Beyond just the anecdotal 'some idiot drove into a pond due to nav mapping'
nonsense.

-Bill