[FoRK] Pelican Imaging

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:02:19 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> They were because they weren't connected. ...

I still think the fundamental issue is pocket space. The most
important camera is the one you always have with you. And most of us
don't have the pocket space to carry a camera separate from a
cellphone every day.

> But adding Android is hot for solving that.

If you already have Android, battery, and a speaker, why not include a
microphone and the radio chip, so you can make phone calls? I've heard
quite a few people call the Nokia 808 a point-and-shoot with phone
capabilities, rather than a phone with a good camera. Which is fair,
given its form factor.

But the truth is convergence. We want one device that is our every day
camera AND a phone AND a personal information manager AND a navigation
aid with maps and GPS AND a sound recorder AND all fitting into a
pocket. One thing I love about the 808 is that the maps work even
without digital signal. As they should. Given data cached for the area
and a GPS signal, there is no reason at all a phone needs a digital
signal to do mapping.