[FoRK] Public Health Menace: Magnetic Buckyballs

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Feb 25 13:12:08 PST 2013

>> /On a scale of 1 to sex in space.../
> Heh.
>
> If an implant were sensitive enough to sense the earth's magnetic field, I'd do it.
>
> sdw

>> Speaking of such things, magnetic finger implants give you a sixth
>> sense for magnetism:
>>
>> http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-05/electrical-engineer-can-feel-magnetic-fields-through-magnets-implanted-his-fingertips

Speaking of medical applications: Simple, clever, effective. But be careful of MRIs afterwards.
http://www.biosciencetechnology.com/news/2013/02/new-magnetic-device-effectively-treats-gerd?et_cid=3110011&et_rid=322952360

New Magnetic Device Effectively Treats GERD
Mon, 2013-02-25 11:27
Get today's life science headlines and news - Sign up now!

A professor of surgery at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine was the first surgeon in the United States to
implant the FDA-approved LINX magnetic device. (Source: UCSD Health System)A professor of surgery at the University of California,
San Diego School of Medicine was the first surgeon in the United States to implant the FDA-approved LINX magnetic device. (Source:
UCSD Health System)A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) provides clinical evidence of the safety and
effectiveness of a new magnetic medical device to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Santiago Horgan, professor of
surgery at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and study co-author, was the first surgeon in the United
States to implant the FDA-approved device.

“What we found is that the LINX magnetic device can solve GERD’s underlying problem, a weak spincter,” said Horgan, chief of
minimally invasive surgery, UC San Diego Health System. “The device corrects an anatomical defect that allows acids to move up the
throat. For my patients this has been an effective way to permanently treat this painful condition, improve their quality of life,
and end the need for over-the-counter medications.”

The LINX system is composed of a series of titanium beads, each with a magnetic core, that are connected to form a ring shape. It is
implanted at the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), a circular band of muscle that closes the last few centimeters of the esophagus
and prevents the backward flow of stomach contents.

As reported in the study, after sphincter augmentation with the LINX System, the majority of patients were able to substantially
reduce or resolve their reflux symptoms, while eliminating use of their reflux medications such as proton pump inhibitors. Severe
regurgitation was eliminated in 100 percent of patients, and nearly all patients (93 percent) reported a significant decrease in the
need for medication. More than 9 in 10 patients (94 percent) reported satisfaction with their overall condition after having the
LINX System, compared to 13 percent before treatment while taking medication.

More than 20 percent of the U.S. population experiences the painful burning symptoms of GERD. For these 20 million Americans, the
first line of defense is medication. GERD can cause both pain and injury to the esophageal lining and may lead to a precancerous
condition called Barrett’s esophagus. Symptoms of GERD include heartburn and regurgitation, often associated with the inability to
sleep and dietary constraints.Horgan said the device is an alternative to Nissen fundoplication which involves irreversibly wrapping
the stomach around the esophagus. The LINX System allows surgeons to leave the stomach intact and support the weak sphincter with a
small device that can be removed.

The LINX system was studied in a controlled, prospective, multicenter trial involving 14 U.S. and European medical centers as part
of the FDA approval process. The patients in the study reported suffering from reflux symptoms for a median of 10 years and taking
reflux medications for a median of five years.

The LINX Reflux Management System is manufactured by Torax Medical which funded the study.

Source: UC San Diego Health System